About Common Sense Institute
Common Sense Institute operates nationally in multiple states. CSI currently has state chapters in Arizona and Colorado; with plans to expand into several other states in the coming years. Each state has their own board of directors, however all states operate under the same EIN and all state teams report to the CEO.
About Common Sense Institute Arizona
Common Sense Institute Arizona is a non-partisan research organization dedicated to the protection and promotion of Arizona’s economy. CSI Arizona is at the forefront of important discussions concerning the future of free enterprise in Arizona and aims to have an impact on the issues that matter most to Arizonans.
CSI Arizona’s mission is to examine the fiscal impacts of policies, initiatives, and proposed laws so that Arizonans are educated and informed on issues impacting their lives. CSI Arizona employs rigorous research techniques and dynamic modeling to evaluate the potential impact of these measures on the Arizona economy and individual opportunity.
About the Executive Director Role
The Executive Director is the key management leader of the CSI Arizona. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, strategic plan, and programming for the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community engagement & outreach. This position is responsible for the management of about 3-8 employees depending on the number of fellows at any given time. The position reports directly to the CEO.
The Executive Director will be based in CSI’s Phoenix, Arizona office.
- Mission Stewardship: Works with the CEO in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading CSI Arizona in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Adheres to the organization’s advocacy policy.
- Champion of non-partisanship and dynamic econometric research.
- Work closely with the Arizona Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Fundraising & Financial Viability: Ensures the financial viability of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support CSI Arizona’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of CSI Arizona, including working directly with the CEO on the budget, submission of quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Organization Mission & Strategy: Works with the CEO, Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of CSI Arizona’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that CSI Arizona can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance CSI Arizona’s Mission.
- Communications, Marketing & External Affairs
- Serve as CSI Arizona’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Identify ways to enhance CSI Arizona’s brand in the state and identify partners.
- Be active and involved in the community
- Establish and strength relationships with governmental leaders, elected officials, and other policy leaders.
- Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Works directly with the CEO in the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff
- Responsible effective administration of CSI Arizona
- Minimum 5+ years in management
- Minimum 5+ years in public policy, non-profit sector, or with a government agency
- Intellectual breadth and experience in Arizona public policy issues
- Passion for free enterprise
- Strong relationships in Arizona policymaking community
- Strong quantitative background
- Strong experience fundraising
- Strong communication skills and experience dealing with media and press
- Strong ability to collaborate and experience working with a board of directors
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree in public policy or business preferred
- Experience working with database platforms preferred
- Willingness to work flexible hours including occasional evenings preferred
Employment Details and Benefits
- Full-time in-person located in Phoenix, Arizona. We strive to provide a competitive compensation package.
- Benefits include: 401k after one-year of employment; up to 4% match; ICHRA Health Insurance reimbursement; 15 paid vacation days, including majority of holidays and extra days at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Paid sick leave; Annual educational and professional development; 3 virtual works days per month;Cell phone reimbursement; Option between childcare or pet-care assistance.
- Travel: This role will require 10% travel mostly in Arizona and to other CSI state chapters.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume
- A cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, why you believe in free enterprise, and what distinguishes you from others
- A list of 3-5 references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.